The GDAL/OGR project team is pleased to announce the release of GDAL/OGR 1.6.0. This release represents 11 months of new feature development since the GDAL/OGR 1.5.0 release, as well as many bug fixes. The release source code is available as described at:
The new release includes the following feature highlights, with detailed information on changes at:
New Raster Drivers:
- BLX Magellan Topo Driver (New)
- EIR Erdas Imagine Raw Driver (New)
- Oracle GeoRaster Driver (New)
- GRIB Driver (now part of standard distribution)
- LCP (FARSITE) Driver (New)
- Terralib driver (New)
New Vector Drivers:
- Geoconcept Export Driver (New)
- INGRES RDBMS Driver (New)
- XPlane/Flightgear Driver (New)
- RFC 20: Preliminary support for alternate axis orientations in SRS.
- On the fly access to data in .zip and .gz compressed files.
- RFC 22: Support for reading from, and warping with RPC (Rational Polynomial Coefficients) from various formats.
- Gaussian and Mode resampling added for overview generation.
- Added raster to vector (polygon) conversion utility.
- Added raster proximity utility.
- Added raster sieve filtering utility.
- Added -expand rgb/rgba ability to gdal_translate
- Added cutline / blend support to gdalwarp.
- Added -segmentize option to ogr2ogr to break long line segments.
- RFC 23: Preliminary support for character set transcoding (in OGR for now).
- RFC 21: OGR SQL supports type casting and field name aliasing